Surgically Facilitated Orthodontic Therapy to Enhance Functional and Esthetic Concerns
Listen to the podcast here.
According to the Perio-Implant Advisory, modern science is making disruptive advancements in medicine and dentistry. In dentistry specifically, Surgically Facilitated Orthodontic Therapy (SFOT) is an advanced procedure that pinpoints the underlying problems of insufficient alveolar bone and compromised arch forms to optimally enhance functional and esthetic concerns. SFOT major advantage to patients is that it can significantly decrease the amount of treatment time by more than 50%. Combined with clear aligner therapy, SFOT can increase case acceptance.
The Perio-Implant Advisory states Surgically Facilitated Orthodontic Therapy (SFOT) can address the underlying problems of insufficient alveolar bone and compromised arch forms to optimally enhance functional and esthetic concerns. In the past, these issues were frequently ignored, inappropriately treated to lifelong iatrogenic consequences, camouflaged through extraction orthodontics and compensated restorations, or overtreated through orthognathic surgery when it wasn’t a true skeletal problem.
The benefits of SFOT include:
- Engineers new tissue to provide a more robust and expanded arch form for the teeth to reside instead of resorting to extractions of teeth to fit the existing compromised arch
- Enables ideal tooth position for optimal occlusion
- Enables ideal tooth position for optimal restorative dentistry (virtually planned)
- Implant site development/planning through augmentation and tooth movement
- Enhances esthetics through optimizing dental relationships and arch forms
- Maximizes orthodontic possibilities
Airway and Sleep Group recognizes that everyone’s mouth shape and bite are unique to the individual and that not every treatment is applicable to every patient. Our dedication to airway improvement, orthodontic aesthetics and the latest advancements in modern dentistry play a role in every patient we treat. We are not limited to traditional orthodontic treatments to achieve the correct mouth shape or aesthetics for each patient we treat. If you want to investigate your treatment options, schedule a consultation with us by calling or texting 571-244-7329.